Social Icons

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Oprah’s ‘sorry’ the Swiss incident ‘got blown up’ & the salesclerk says Oprah’s lying

Here are some photos of Oprah Winfrey at last night’s LA premiere of The Butler. I’ve really liked Oprah’s styling for her press tour – this is the best she’s looked in a while. I like the big, wild hair, I love all of her pink and fuchsia dresses. She looks really good. Anyway, people are still talking about Oprah’s recent admission that a clerk at a Swiss boutique wouldn’t even show her a purse that she wanted. I was surprised by the anti-Oprah sentiments unleashed in that post, quite honestly. While the clerk might not have been motivated by racism, I believe Oprah’s story and I think something shady and bitchy went down in that store. But Oprah kind of wants it to be over. On the red carpet last night, Oprah told the BBC:
“I think that incident in Switzerland was just an incident in Switzerland… I’m really sorry that it got blown up. I purposefully did not mention the name of the store. I’m sorry that I said it was Switzerland…. It’s not an indictment against the country, or even that store. It’s just one person who didn’t want to offer me the opportunity to see the bag.”
Winfrey also explained the context surrounding why she spoke out about the incident.
“I was just referencing it as an example of being in a place where people don’t expect that you would be able to be there,” she said. “Nobody’s gonna call me the N-word to my face unless they’re a thug on Twitter or Facebook. It doesn’t show up that way. It shows up for me differently: I’m in a store…and they make an assessment based upon the way I look and who I am.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates